Movers Liability

Movers Liability

Movers Liability Options

All moving companies are required to assume liability for the value of the household goods they are responsible for transporting. There are two different levels of Movers Liability that apply to interstate moves. Full Value Replacement and Waiver of Full Value Replacement or released value. It is very important that you understand the charges that apply and the amount of protection provided by each level.

This is the most comprehensive option available to protect your household goods, but it will increase the cost of your move.

Under your movers Full Value Replacement level of liability if any article is lost, destroyed or damaged while in your movers custody, your mover will, at its option will either 1) repair the article to the extent necessary to restore it to the same condition as when it was received by your mover, or pay you the cost for said repairs: or 2) replace the article with an article of like kind and quality or pay you for the cost of such replacement.

The additional charge for this coverage must be provided in your mover’s estimate.
Under this option, movers are permitted to limit their liability for loss or damage to articles of extraordinary value, unless you specifically list these articles on the shipping documents. An article of extraordinary value is any item whose value exceeds $100.00 per pound. Ask your mover for a complete explanation of this limitation before your move. It is your responsibility to study this provision carefully and to make the necessary declaration,

Released value is minimal protection. However, it is the most economical protection available as there is no charge to you. Under this option, the mover assumes liability for no more than 60 cents per lb. per article. For example, if a 100 lb. the table was lost or destroyed, the mover would be liable for $60.00 (100 lbs. X $.60).

There are now several companies online that provide insurance coverage for your specific move. Here are a few:


If you will be working with the same insurance company for your new home give them a call to see if you are covered while your household goods are in transit. You may need no additional coverage if you are covered under your existing homeowner’s policy.

Leave Your Phone Number,
We'll Call You

Leave us your phone number and/or email and we will contact you.

Recommended Posts